Our Mission Statement
By sharing God's LOVE as revealed in Jesus Christ, we are freed to Live Faithfully, Witness Boldly and Serve Joyfully.
Emmanuel Lutheran Episcopal Mission Statement 2019
Our Story - A Journey of Two Churches Becoming One
- Two churches - Prince of Peace Lutheran Church and St. Mark's Episcopal Church - began worshipping together in 2015.
- In 2016, both congregations voted to become one church, beginning the journey of establishing a Federated Interdenominational Congregation. Working with the New England Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and the Episcopal Diocese of Maine, Prince of Peace and St. Mark's evolved into Emmanuel Lutheran Episcopal Church.
- Sunday worship includes a blending of Lutheran and Episcopalian traditions.
- Outreach ministries - now known as "Bridging the Gap" - became a United Way Partner Agency in 2017, allowing programs to now receive community support. In the Spring of 2018, Bridging the Gap moved into 209 Eastern Avenue after the Congregation voted unanimously to designate one-third of its building to these growing programs that provide services and support to the most needy in the Greater Augusta area.
- The church building is a bustling place every day! Addie's Attic and Everyday Basic Essentias are open Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the first and third Saturdays. The Warming Center is open Monday through Friday from December 1 to March 31. Emmanuel also supports the local community by regularly sharing meeting space for nonprofit programs which provide education on domestic violence, support for food addictions, support for immigrants, support for the blind, and rehearsal space for local singers.
- The transition hasn't always been easy. Members have been lost and work has been challenging. However, by continuing to follow the path which God has placed before us, we are now choosing to replace "scarcity" with "abundance". Our Emmanuel Family is no longer "Lutheran" nor "Episcopalian". We are now "One in Christ" as a new church with familiar traditions, stepping out in faith to answer God's call to help those in need.
- All are welcome at Emmanuel Lutheran Episcopal Church. Come and see how God is working in us, around us and through us!